Open enrollment for spring term 2017 is now available.
International Student Health Insurance Plan
Academic Year 2016-2017
The University of Oregon requires that all international students have health insurance to help cover unexpected medical expenses that may arise. This includes international students who are studying abroad or have an approved medical or vacation term. All international students are automatically enrolled in and billed for the UO Student Health Benefits Plan. The University of Oregon is pleased to partner with PacificSource to offer a high quality, affordable health plan for the 2016-2017 year.
For specific plan details, review the following documents:
You may also refer to the PacificSource website for additional resources.
Some highlights of the plan include:
- Platinum-level medical and prescription drug coverage for services at the University Health Center and with our local partners.
- Coverage anywhere: Your benefits tag along wherever you go, offering 24/7 emergency medical care and assistance anywhere in the world (excluding your home country).
- Coverage throughout the year - at school, at home, while traveling - our extensive network of providers keeps you covered as long as you are enrolled in the UO Health Plan.
- Affordability: low cost of coverage, co-pays and deductibles with caps on annual out-of-pocket costs help eliminate the stress of finding great coverage.
- Dental coverage
- Mobile apps to keep you connected and healthy on the move.
What does the plan cost and how do I pay?
- $635 per student per term.
- Total annual cost is $1,905 (this breaks down to $158.75 per month when comparing to other plans).
- Charges are billed to the student’s account in three installments (once per term during the fall, winter, and spring terms).
- The deadline for spring term premium payment is April 12, 2017. If you fail to pay your premiums prior to this deadline, you will have an academic hold placed on your account and may be subject to a late payment fee of $100 as well as sanctions by the Office of International Affairs.
- Student Billing (currently located in Oregon Hall) accepts cash, check, money order and on-line payments (which includes the use of credit cards).
How do I enroll my dependents?
- International students are required to provide insurance that meets the UO standards for their eligible dependents who are with them here in the United States.
- Dependents cost the same per term/semester as students ($635 per term, or $952.50 per semester for law students).
- Dependent enrollment forms can be found at myUOHealth, under the "Forms" tab.
- All dependents will be verified through the Office of International Affairs.
- Dependents are not eligible for medical services at the University Health Center. Go to the PacificSource website to find an in-network provider.
What if I don't want the university's insurance?
What to expect when you get an approved waiver:
- You are responsible for paying the full cost of all services received at the University Health Center, which will be billed to your student account.
- The University Health Center will not bill your insurance company for any services you receive there, unless you have the Pacific Source-GTFF insurance.
- After your visit, charges will appear on your DuckWeb account (generally within 2-3 weeks). At that time, you can print your itemized statements through myUOHealth and submit them to your insurance company for possible reimbursement.
- You are responsible for knowing what your health insurance plan covers.
What are the dates of coverage and deadlines?
Important Open Enrollment Periods and Deadlines for Non-Law Students
(Undergraduate, Conflict Resolution, AEI, and Other Graduate Students)
Annual Dates of Coverage: September 15, 2016 – September 14, 2017
Fall Term Dates:
Effective Dates of Coverage: September 15 – December 31, 2016
Open Enrollment Period: CLOSED
Deadline for Payment of Fall Premiums: October 5, 2016 (5:00 p.m.)
Winter Term Dates:
Effective Dates of Coverage: January 1 – March 31, 2017
Open Enrollment Period: CLOSED
Deadline for Payment of Winter Premiums: January 18, 2017 (5:00 p.m.)
Spring Term Dates:
Effective Dates of Coverage: April 1 – September 14, 2017
Open Enrollment Period: March 1 – April 12, 2017
Deadline Payment of Spring Premiums: April 12, 2017 (5:00 p.m.)
Summer Only Dates:
Effective Dates of Coverage: June 19 – September 14, 2017
Open Enrollment Period: May 15 – July 5, 2017
Deadline Payment of Summer Premiums: July 5, 2017 (5:00 p.m.)