Stress Management Services
Managing stress is critical to students' success. In addition to psychiatric services for serious emotional concerns, we offer many stress management services.
Stress Management Consults
Interested in learning simple relaxation techniques and tips for managing stress and sleep issues? Call 541-346-2770 to make an appointment for a free one-on-one consult.
Relax and Renew Meditation Series
The Relax and Renew Meditation Series is offered to people who would like to enhance their healing potential physically, emotionally and spiritually through meditation. Participants will learn to relax body, mind and spirit through breathing, visualization, stress management and awareness of energetic systems. The goal of these classes is to help participants integrate a meditation practice into their daily lives. Research studies have shown meditation can lower blood pressure and heart rate, decrease anxiety, assist with pain management, increase mental clarity and focus while creating a sense of well being.
Relax and Renew is typically offered in the Duck Nest (EMU 041) on Wednesdays from 5:00-6:00 p.m. beginning week 3 of every term. $15 for all six weeks for students (billed to DuckWeb); $25 for all six weeks for faculty and staff (cash or check). Call 541-346-2770 to register.
Energy Healing offers stress management and deep relaxation techniques for students with sleep issues, chronic pain, anxiety and depression. Energy Healing complements traditional approaches to health and healing.
What Students are saying about Energy Healing:
My experiences with Energy Healing have been very positive. During and after every session I feel a tremendous amount of calm and clarity in general, and it has helped me with anxiety and depression at various times over the last two years. Jude creates a safe and calm space, in which I can totally relax and let my body absorb the healing energy. She is a great and intuitive healer and understands and respects the complexities of the mind-body dynamics. However trivial or complex the reasons were at the times I saw Jude for Energy Healing, I always left with a feeling of serenity and clarity, knowing that “I am OK.”
-Mathias, Graduate Student
Click here for more information on Energy Healing
Stress Management and Meditation
- This is an interactive, experiential presentation to increase awareness of stress and to introduce meditation techniques for stress management. Stress and the stress response will be defined. The signs, symptoms and health conditions related to daily, prolonged stress will be identified. Meditation and the relaxation response will be defined. Breath work will be defined. Instruction and practice of easy meditation and breathing techniques that can be done on a daily basis will be given. Length of presentation: 1 hour Handout provided
Got Sleep? Class
- According to the Spring 2013 ACHA-National College Health Assessment Survey, 21.7% of college students reported that sleep disruption affects their academic performance in a negative way. In this presentation sleep and sleep cycles will be defined. Sleep disorders from lack of sleep along with the benefits of a healthy sleep pattern will be identified. A description of a healthy sleep ritual will be given. Length of presentation: 1 hour Sleep kit and handout provided
Got Stress? Got Sleep?
- This is an informational, educational presentation on the detrimental effects of increased stress causing increased sleep issues and vice versa. This presentation defines stress and sleep, describes the sleep cycles and identifies the health benefits from sleep. In addition, identifies signs, symptoms and health conditions related to prolonged, daily stress and lack of sleep. A description of a healthy sleep ritual will be given. Length of presentation: 1 hour Sleep kit and handout provided
- This presentation is an interactive, experiential introduction to mindfulness meditation. Meditation will be defined. The benefits of a daily meditation practice will be identified. Breath work will be defined and benefits described. Instruction and practice of easy meditation and breathing techniques that can be done on a daily basis will be given. Length of presentation: 1 hour Handout provided
These one hour classes on stress management, sleep and meditation are offered to individual classes on campus, sororities, fraternities, and residence halls. Call 541-346-2430 or E-mail Jude Kehoe for more information.
Massage therapy is offered through our Licensed Massage Therapist in the Department of Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine. Massage appointments are open to all UO students. Call 541-346-4401 to schedule an appointment. Click here for pricing.
The Physical Therapy/Sports Medicine Department is pleased to introduce acupuncture services, which are available to all UO students. Our acupuncturist specializes in the treatment of stress, anxiety, sleep disturbances and musculoskeletal pain. Additionally, she offers help with smoking cessation. There are two ways for students to receive acupuncture:
- One-on-one, private sessions in a relaxing treatment space. These sessions are tailored to students' individual needs. Sessions are 45 minutes and cost $54.
- Acu-Lounge! Community acupuncture is done in a comfortable, group setting. The focus is on stress reduction and relaxation. Sessions are just under an hour and cost $15.
Additional Campus Resources
The Counseling Center offers free counseling services for individuals, couples and groups. Call 541-346-3227 for more information.
The TLC offers various classes and workshops that will help decrease stress and maximize efficiency. Call 541-346-3226 for more information.